Is your Mattress Ruining your Marriage?

Is your Mattress Ruining your Marriage?

November 2, 2017

According to a research study conducted by the Gottman Institute and published in the March 2016 issue of Psychology Today magazine, when your partner or spouse has gone to bed for the evening, you should be with him or her.  In the article, the author Dr. Erin Leyba, LCSW, Ph.D., contends that the loss of connection and intimacy from not sleeping together contributes to couples eventually “drifting apart.”  This often leads to a failure of the marriage.


While Dr. Leyba makes a very valid point, there may be other reasons why one person chooses to sleep in another bed rather than with their partner.  There may be other factors that contribute to the problem.  Statistics have shown that approximately 25% of all married couples actually go to bed together while the other 75% who don’t are either playing video games, surfing the internet, watching television, or working.  Then again, it may be due to other factors.


There are a number of possible causes why one partner in the relationship chooses not to sleep with the other.  For instance, the bed belonged to one of the partners prior to getting married and is now two small to accommodate both of them.  Sleeping in a bed that is too small compromises one’s ability to sleep comfortably and get a good night’s rest.  So when you wake up the next morning and you have a back ache, headache, or sore neck and shoulders, there’s a good chance you weren’t sleeping comfortably.


A person’s excessive, loud snoring is another reason that many couples don’t sleep in the same bed.  There are literally hundreds of articles posted online that discuss the issue of snoring as a major problem in many marriages.  In fact, there are 42 million Americans (13% of the total US population) that suffer with SDB or sleep-disordered breathing problems including snoring and disturbing the other person’s quality of sleep.


For those couples who’ve recently gotten married or will soon be saying their vows, you might want to consider investing in a new mattress so you’re both comfortable when sleeping.  Naturally, some adjustments will have to be made when you start living and sleeping together.  After all, you don’t want the ability to sleep comfortably together to become an issue early on in the marriage.


No doubt the change from sleeping alone to sleeping together is a huge adjustment for many newlyweds.  So the last thing you want is for marital problems to start over the wrong mattress.  It could easily be said that a mattress is a long-term investment in not only getting a good night’s sleep but keeping your marriage together.  Furthermore, this might be the ideal time to consider the Snuz mattress from Sleep Choices.  Visit our website for more information today.


Reference URL:


Your Cart 0 Items

Your cart is currently empty.

Return to shop